Monday, August 20, 2012

Ikea Food - South Philadelphia, PA

Ikea Food - South Philadelphia, PA
My mother and I went to IKEA for the first time EVER this week. I originally went to purchase a table, but got wrapped up in the food! (I also bought some things from the food section, so I have an IKEA haul coming up soon!) 

Here is what we had for lunch:


My Mother had the roasted chicken breast with mashed potatoes, she said it was the best chicken she had ever had in a restaurant.
For lunch I had the Swedish meatballs with lingonberry jam and mashed potatoes. Lingonberries are really popular in Scandinavian meals. On the side I had lingonberry juice and an elderflower cupcake.
The mashed potatoes were creamy and delicious! They tasted buttery and had a hint of cracked pepper. They sell the same potatoes in the freezer section of their food market, and I have to say these were the best frozen mashed potatoes I had ever had.

I have to say, the lingonberry jam tasted like the best cranberry sauce I had ever had. The berries were tender and soft, but the overall flavor was dry and tangy. A lot like cranberry sauce, but the berries do not have anything to get stuck in your teeth (like cranberries often do.) I actually picked up a jar of this to have at home.

Although Ikea is famous for them, the meatballs were actually my least favorite part of the meal. they tasted a little overly spiced. I think I would have liked them with a different gravy more than the traditional brown. The brown gravy made the spices overpowering, if a tangy sauce had been used I would have liked them a lot more.

The lingonberry juice was really refreshing, but it was a lot like a cranberry juice, just a bit brighter. It isn’t very strong on it’s own, but when I mixed it with a bit of lemon lime soda it was really interesting! All of these items can be bought in the grocery section so you can easily recreate your meal at home.


The elderflower cupcake, was something I had never seen before. The cupcake was really moist and dense, and it tasted like vanilla pound cake mixed with lychee fruit. The icing on top was cream cheese and I think the elderflower was also in the icing, but it was hard to tell with how strongly the cupcake was flavored. I loved it!

Overall, I am incredibly impressed with IKEA’s food. I never though a store that sold furniture would also make decent food. I highly recommend everything! (Except the meatballs with gravy. I won’t be getting that again)
Like me on facebook to keep up with all my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment