Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pumpkin Ravioli - Pumpkin 2012 Haul



Pumpkin Ravioli - Aldi : Medford, NJ

I am collecting all of my pumpkin posts from last year and re-posting them here on Blogger to make a comprehensive collection. Here is the original Tumblr post.
We’re almost at the end of my pumpkin stash!
I've had pumpkin based pasta before, like gnocchi, but never ravioli. I had assumed these were a savory because they were in the frozen entree aisle, but after reading the bag I wasn’t sure if these were a sweet or savory item. The bag has a recipe on the back for a brown sugar pecan sauce to serve them with, so I think this might be on the sweet side.
The picture on the bag is….well…gross. I am sorry, but that sauce on top looks disgusting! I think it is supposed to be the suggested brown sugar pecan topping.
The ravioli are frozen, so they really had no smell. I followed the instructions and cooked some up. It turns out the aroma was hidden inside these little pockets of pasta.
When I cut the ravioli open, the inside looked like ricotta cheese mixed with pumpkin pie filling.
What little smell the filling did have, was quite sweet. I don’t think any additional sugars were added, because ricotta cheese has a sweet flavor on it’s own, so you might be able to make this into a savory dish after all. 
I might see if these can be paired with tomato sauce later tonight, since I loved the pumpkin salsa, but I am pretty sure these are a dessert item.
These ravioli are interesting, and quite different, but I don’t think this is something I would buy again next year.
On a pumpkin-y scale of 1-5 (5 being extremely pumpkin-y) I would rate this a 2.5.

Like me on facebook to keep up with all my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment