Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pumpkin Harvest Salsa - Target - Riverside, NJ


Pumpkin Harvest Salsa 
- Target - Riverside, NJ
Sorry I missed yesterday's review. Student teaching is kicking my butt, but I am giving lectures on various artists the rest of this week! (Check out part of a lesson here.) I'm excited, but having to write lesson plans in my college's format, preparing presentations, and getting observed is a lot of work. Updates might get a little wonky for the rest of this week, but I'll keep up as best as I can. 

Back to the food!


Last year Aldi had THIS Harvest Salsa, and it was amazingly pumpkin-y. I loved it so much that I bought another jar this year! Although it tastes great, my only complaint is that the Aldi's salsas are very mild. I always have to add extra seasoning or peppers to spice it up, so when Target released it's own seasonal salsa with the promise of a pepper-y kick, I had to see if it could satisfy my spicy needs.
Visually there is no contest between the two jars. The no-frills Aldi brand looks the best, hands down. Archer Farms likes to stick to a consistent design and all of their products look the same, which is not a bad thing, but the brand's identity doesn't really work for this salsa. Aldi's Selected label is a lot more sophisticated and festive, so I like leaving the jar out at parties because it looks fancy. The Target jar? Not so much.


Once opened, I could smell pretty generic salsa with a hint of nutty pumpkin and a bit of spice. While It smells more spicy than the Aldi variety, it's not as spicy as Tostitos "medium" salsa. I am really hoping that it tastes spicier. (After all, some like it hot.)


I grabbed some plain tortilla chips and gave it a try.

After a decent salsa-filled scoop, I can say that it's definitely spicier than the Aldi version, but it really doesn't taste seasonal at all. There is a subtle squash-y taste, but this is more of a south western style salsa than a pumpkin one.

I like this salsa, and it's very yummy, but it was really nothing special. I'll continue spicing up the Aldi variety I stocked up on.

On a Pumpkin Scale of 1-5 (5 being the most pumpkin-y) I’d give this a 2. This salsa is spicier than the Aldi variety, which I like, but it doesn't have as much pumpkin flavoring.
© Maria Smith http://poison-and-antidote.net
Like me on facebook to keep up with all my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment