Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pumpkin Soup- Trader Joe’s - Marlton, NJ

Pumpkin Soup- Trader Joe’s - Marlton, NJ
Sorry for the delay, but here is today's pumpkin post!

My mini pumpkin haul from Trader Joe's hasn't really lived up to my expectations. I absolutely loved the pumpkin macarons, but the granola was nothing to write home about. With Trader Joe's having such a huge following, I might have set the bar a little too high. Let's see if this pumpkin soup will make a difference.

My first thoughts were that this box is pretty small. When I picked it up it felt like I was holding a box of Pop-Tarts, but it actually contains about three servings of soup. For $1.79, that's not too shabby. The price may be right (ha) and the portioning is decent, but the design is a little lacking. This box is stuck in between modern packaging and vintage design, neither one is fully realized and the whole box suffers from the same monotone color issues as the pumpkin macarons. It's safe to say, I don't care for the package design, but as far as functionality, this was super easy to open and pour. 
I read the ingredients list in the store before I purchased the soup and I saw onions, pumpkin, and various spices. I assumed that this was going to be deliciously savory, but it wasn't. When I opened the container I could smell pureed pumpkin, and that was it. The aroma was sweet and nutty, which was enjoyable, but it was definitely not what I was expecting.
Once heated up, this soup tastes like a raw pumpkin puree with salt, and hint of pumpkin pie spice. If you're a fan of eating pumpkin straight from the patch, you'll love this soup, but I feel like this isn't a soup at all. This is determinately a soup starter or base. I could see myself using this as an ingredient for curry, or adding it to other veggies and soups, but I could never eat this on it's own. If Trader Joe's wanted this to be a soup there should have been more of a curry-like spice range with more pureed veggies, or veggie chunks.
As a base for other dishes, this seems really interesting, but I'm sorry Trader Joe fanatics, I am not loving this "soup." (And it seems like other foodies share my opinion.)
On a Pumpkin Scale of 1-5 (5 being the most pumpkin-y) I’d give this a just because it tastes like straight up pumpkin. Although it's very pumpkin-y, I absolutely hated the taste of this stuff on it's own. It's way too sweet. 
© Maria Smith http://poison-and-antidote.net
Like me on facebook to keep up with all my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment