Saturday, November 9, 2013

Pumpkin Squash Ravioli - Aldi - Moorestown, NJ

Pumpkin Squash Ravioli - Aldi - Moorestown, NJ
Remember those sweet pumpkin raviolis that Aldi released last year? I wasn't a fan, but they weren't that bad. Pumpkin season can get a bit frustrating for foodies and food bloggers because every year we get  flooded with pumpkin flavored and pumpkin spiced sweets, which are great, but I want something savory to snack on. This year Aldi delivered. I saw this new, frozen, ravioli dinner in the special buy section and I thought it would be worth a try.


The packaging is very bright while still maintaining a seasonal color palette, and the photo of the ravioli looks very appealing. The Fit and Active brand at Aldi has really come a long way, and I like the layout choices they have been making. (This honestly puts Trader Joe's orange blah-packaging to shame.)


I followed the microwave instructions, which were pretty much the same as any standard microwavable dinner, and the finished meal looked like baby food. I worked at a daycare facility for over a year and this looks like one of the Gerber Graduates meals I had to heat up for the kids. (Although those Gerber things have the most impossible to peel off plastic film ever! I'd end up stabbing it with a fork like the shower scene from Psycho.)
Although it doesn't look too appealing, the ravioli and veggies smell quite nice. There is a savory, buttery, aroma mixed with steamed asparagus.

I took a bite, and it was fairly bland, but not bad. My biggest complaint is the texture. This stuff felt like baby food! There was no crispiness to combat all of the soft mushy textures. Thankfully it tasted pretty nice. The ravioli were filled with a sweet and savory squash/pumpkin puree and sauce was very buttery. I feel like there could have been more herbs, but this wasn't awful.

Although I wouldn't buy this again, it might make an interesting, and healthy, lunch option during the week.

On a Pumpkin Scale of 1-5 (5 being the most pumpkin-y) I’d give this a 2. I liked it more than the raviolis from last year, but I wouldn't buy these again.

Like me on facebook to keep up with all my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment