Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sweetie Pie Ground Coffee - Home Goods: Moorestown, NJ

Sweetie Pie Ground Coffee - Home Goods: Moorestown, NJ
We're in the pumpkin-y home stretch! Only k-cups left!

I kind of went a little crazy at the Home Goods in Moorestown and bought three seasonal coffees. That might not seem like much to avid coffee drinkers, but I rarely drink the stuff. It's not that I dislike coffee, I make a pot whenever I have company, or when my coffee addicted boyfriend is over, but I am not in the habit of drinking it alone. That being the case, these bags are going to last me a while.

Why did I buy so many coffees when I don't really drink it? Because the package designs were really pretty. I admit it, I am a total sucker for pretty packaging and these roped me right in. Look at this bag! It's a bold, but simple, design with a gorgeous color and font. How could I resist? (The font reminds me of Lucidity, one of my favorite fonts ever!) Looks alone didn't seal the deal, the coffees smelled really yummy too. (So they are pretty and they don't smell bad. I'm sold!)



I don't know if my coffee maker is on it's way out or something, but I have been having a problem with my coffee being really bitter, so I brewed this twice using different directions. I made one batch using the package's instructions, which was 2 scoops per each 6 oz of water, and another where I used two scoops with 12 oz of water.
  • The batch that was made using the bag's directions (2 scoops per each 6 oz of water) was really intense. When the pot had finished brewing the coffee was a really dark, almost black, color and it had a fairly strong pumpkin spiced aroma. I knew this was going to be too strong for my tastes, but I took a sip anyway. (I did it for science!) This batch was really bitter and strong, just like I expected. At first it has this intense dark roast flavor, but it leaves a really strong pumpkin spice after taste. I was pretty impressed by the intensity of the flavors, but this is way too strong for me. I would use shots of this in my drinks like an espresso.
  • For the next batch I tried to use more water and less coffee. (2 scoops per 12oz)  When brewed, it was still a really dark color and it had the same intense aroma as the first batch, but it tasted a bit smoother. There wasn't an extreme difference in the two pots of coffee, but it was slightly less bitter.
My final opinion is that this is a pretty intense brew. I could see this being used for mixed drinks, like lattes, but I personally couldn't drink it on it's own. (I also might get a new coffee maker.)
On a Pumpkin Scale of 1-5 (5 being the most pumpkin-y) I’d give this a 3. Once you get past the intense dark roasted flavor, this coffee has a nice pumpkin spice aftertaste. This would be amazing in a pumpkin spiced latte, but as a coffee, the roast is too intense (for me).
Like me on facebook to keep up with all my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment