Friday, February 7, 2014

Limited Edition Marshmallow Crispy Oreos -Shop Rite Delran, NJ

Limited Edition Marshmallow Crispy Oreos -Shop Rite Delran, NJ
If you watched my first impressions video, posted yesterday, most of you already know how I feel about this product. (You also saw me awkwardly eating cookies, spoiling my dog, and chewing with my mouth open. I'm so sorry.) Although I practically reviewed this item already, I like doing written review with photos so I can get a bit more detailed.
As always, I'm going to start with the packaging. 

Using my lemon Oreo package as a comparison, this design is very generic and bland. If you swapped the lemons out for Marshmallow squares it looks exactly the same.
Due to all vanilla Oreos using the same yellow packaging, these limited edition flavors don't stand out from the rest of the Oreo line. In fact, when I finally found these at the grocery store they were on a shelf with the rest of the Oreos mid-way down the aisle. These weren't advertized as new, or on an endcap, and they were stacked so that you could only see the side of the packaging and not the face. (Side is pictured above.) Unless you were looking really closely and noticed the marshmallow square in the corner, you might walk right by these and never knowing they were there. (Plus the shelf was child level, not adult.) As a food blogger, this can be a good thing, because the normal every day consumer might walk right by these and I am more likely to find them for myself, but as far as getting noticed by the everyday consumer, this is a fail. Why not go all out with the packaging and make it into something different? Or at the very least a different color. I get it. Yellow is vanilla and blue is chocolate, but when these limited flavors come out why not do something different?  
Safe to say, the packaging isn't what people are excited about. Let's check out how this cookie tastes (although if you watched my video you already know)
When I opened that peel-back container (that I hate) I could smell a strong vanilla scent, similar to canned frosting and vanilla wafers, but there is a mild puffed rice aroma that reminds me of Rice Krispies cereal as well.
Now, marshmallow crispies\squares\treats...whatever you want to call them, are a very simple to make. All you need is butter, marshmallows, and puffed rice. To me it's more of a textural treat than flavorful one, so I was really curious as to how Oreo was going to recreate that flavor with a vanilla cookie involved. Apparently their solution was to mix little crisped rice pieces into the creme. Let's see how well that worked out.


On it's own, the creme tastes fairly authentic.
At first you can taste classic vanilla Oreo filling, but there is a hint of marshmallow Fluff, and the crispies give it a satisfying texture. Actually, the filling really reminds me of ground up cereal marshmallows added to Oreo creme and rice crispies. If you mixed up Oreo filling with that powdery marshmallow cereal dust at the bottom of Lucky Charms I bet it'd taste just like this.
The filling is very sweet, much sweeter than a typical rice crispy square, but you can definitely taste the resemblance. I would say that on it's own, the filling is a success, but then it's a cookie and it should be eaten like a cookie. 

 
When the cookie is eaten together, like cookies are meant to be, all of the crispy texture from the filling is lost due to the crispiness of the vanilla cookie. The cookie overwhelms a lot of the subtle flavoring that makes this filling taste like a marshmallow square, so all you're left with is a really sugary vanilla Oreo. There is a mildly cereal-like aftertaste, similar to Lucky Charms, but the cookie completely destroys the marshmallow illusion.
This was the cookie I was most excited for, and I feel like the creme filling actually delivered the promised flavor (to the best of it's ability). Sadly, the cookie really ruins the illusion.
When eaten separately, I think this is a really enjoyable limited edition treat. It might be sitting on the cusp of deliciousness and being sickeningly sweet, but I like it.

Have any of you tried them? If so, what did you think?

© Maria Smith http://poison-and-antidote.net
Like me on facebook to keep up with all my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment