Saturday, February 22, 2014

Sour Watermelon Peeps - Walmart: Cinnaminson, NJ

Sour Watermelon Peeps - Walmart: Cinnaminson, NJ
We're only two months into the new year and Peeps have already released several new flavors. There were some chocolate dipped strawberry ones released on Valentine's day (as well as chocolate cherry but I don't think those were new), and now we have sour watermelon and blue raspberry.

The packaging is pretty generic as far as Peeps go, so I am going to skip my usual design discussion. Although, I will mention that this package was a bit hard to open cleanly, and there isn't anyway to reseal it. If you like your Peeps to stay fresh and soft, you should keep them in a sealed container with a lid. (Or eat them stale like I do. I actually prefer them that way, but I'm weird.)
The eyes seem to get wonkier as you go to the left.
There might have been a little hole in the package somewhere, because I could smell artificial watermelon before I even opened the plastic. These little chicks smelled tangy and artificial, similar to Sour Patch Watermelon Slices. The scent wasn't bad, and it was actually a lot better than what I expected.

Stepping away from their typical spring-themed color palette, these colors are BRIGHT. (So obnoxiously bright they require all caps!) My camera didn't pick up the bright bubblegum pink marshmallow very well, but it is very vibrant and it clashes a bit with the green sugary coating. Since red and green are opposite on the color-wheel, the color combination makes sense as far as the flavoring goes, but in real life they clash and negate one another. It isn't terribly noticeable or unappealing, but it is noticeable when you compare a green Peep with a white marshmallow base to this pink one.
My Peeps were also a little bit wonky. All of my eyes were crooked and melting off. I don't really mind, there are always hiccups with mass production, but it seemed like the quality control on Peep-eyes was a bit better a decade ago.




It seemed like these Peeps were a bit softer than usual, but it could be that this is a really fresh batch.

Okay, time to give them a try.


I wouldn't call these sour at all! They are more tangy than anything else.

On it's own, the pink marshmallow has a mellow, but very artificial, watermelon flavoring. As far as I can tell, all of the bolder, tangier, flavor is in the sanding sugar. I wouldn't say this was sour at all, Sour Patch Watermelon slices pack more of a punch, but when compared to traditional Peeps, these are significantly tangier. (Similar to the tangy Lemonade variety.)

These were okay, But I didn't find myself wanting more than one. I have a feeling that eating these up will be a bit of a chore, and who wants that? Peeps are really stepping up their flavor-game, which is entertaining, but what use are all these new flavors if that don't taste good?
Like me on facebook to keep up with all my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment