Thursday, April 3, 2014

Wasabi Roasted & Sea Salted Seaweed Snack - Wegman's: Cherry Hill, NJ

Wasabi Roasted & Sea Salted Seaweed Snack - Wegman's: Cherry Hill, NJ
These crispy little seaweed sheets have been my go-to snack for the last month. I bought my first package back in February when it was a new item, and I meant to review it, but I got a little hungry. Eight packages later, and here I am finally posting a review.


It's a bit hard to tell in these photos, but the package is pretty small. It's about the size of a smart phone, but as thick as Tastykake. (How do you like those random measurements?)

This foil package may not win any beauty contests, but it's obvious that some thought and effort were put into it's design. There are some subtle details, like the stylized wave in the background, that prevent this from looking unfinished. If I had to pick my least favorite part of the packaging, it'd be the font that was used for "Seaweed Snack." It looks like some kind of cheap default typeface. I imagine someone being told at the last minute to whip up a design for this container, so they used a font that "kinda looked Asian," and went with it. Overall, the packaging isn't very attractive or eye catching, but I've seen worse. Although, if it weren't for the large "NEW ITEM" sign that brought my attention to these little foiled packages, I never would have known that these existed. 

Inside the foiled bag, there is a plastic protective tray to keep your brittle seaweed sheets in one piece. I like the added protection from the plastic, but I don't think this little tray is recyclable in my area. (Although I have been putting it out with my plastics anyway.)  If it isn't recyclable, that might be a problem for me. I've eaten 8 packages already, so that's 8 plastic trays that just pile up in the trash. I feel bad causing so much waste, but I really love these little seaweed snacks. I'll edit this post once I find out for sure.
As far as I can tell, the seaweed doesn't have much of a smell. The packaging smells a bit salty, but that's about it, I can't even detect any wasabi.
The sheets are very thin, so much so that they are translucent, and they are really crispy. I didn't photograph it, but there's a little silica packet in the container to ensure that your seaweed stays crispy and fresh. (Which also starts to pile up, aren't these things poison?)
Looking at these little sheets, there's no hint of wasabi flavoring anywhere. At first, it's kind of hard to tell if it's there at all, but after your first bite you'll figure out that one side of the sheet is coated with a fine dusting of wasabi. 

After eating 8 packages I developed my own way of eating them. I like to take the sheet out, place it wasabi-side down on my tongue, and munch away. This way I get the most intense wasabi flavoring. When eaten the other way (wasabi side up) the sea weed snack becomes a lot more mild, so much so that people who normally can't handle wasabit can easily munch on these.

After one or two sheets I was addicted. It's like potato chips! I just can't stop eating them. Thankfully these are pretty cheap, I can get a three pack for about $2.00, and they are only 30 calories a package, so I don't need to worry about my seaweed obsession breaking the bank or my belt any time soon.

I absolutely love these Seaweed Snacks and I highly recommend them to all wasabi, sushi, and seaweed lovers. Am I the only one who hates actual seaweed at the beach, but loves putting it in their mouth? (Giggity?)
© Maria Smith http://poison-and-antidote.net
Like me on facebook to keep up with all my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment