Saturday, July 19, 2014

Garlic Hummus Tortilla Chips - Aldi: Cherry Hill, NJ

Garlic Hummus Tortilla Chips - Aldi: Cherry Hill, NJ
Time for another specialty buy item from my favorite grocery store ever, Aldi! This time it's a fancy flavored tortilla chip from their Specially Selected line. Admittedly, I had this sitting in my food review stash for a while, so I am not sure if it's still available in stores (first world food hoarder problems), but I thought this item was still worthy of reviewing. Who knows, maybe it'll reappear on the shelves next year, you never know with Aldi.

The packaging follows the same black-heavy design as the rest of the Specially Selected line, but this time there is a bold splash of purple at the top. Usually the colored accents make sense because they have some kind of relation to the flavoring, but I can't think of any reason why purple is being used with garlic and hummus, then again garlic and hummus are usually a beige-y off-white color, so I guess they just went with something at random that would stand out. While the bag functions well, I think this is one of the least appealing packaging designs for a Special Selected item I have ever seen, but hopefully the chips inside taste good.



I opened the bag, and the chips smelled sweet and garlic-y. At first I found the sweetness a bit off putting, since I definitely wasn't expecting it, but after my initial reaction I noticed the the sweetness was similar to caramelized onions or garlic.

Do they tastes as sweet as they smell? Yes. These are really sweet and intensely flavored. I can taste garlic, sugar, corn and some kind of seed, in that order. These weren't at all what I was expecting, and they certainly don't taste like hummus, but I kinda like them.

The sweet and garlic-y flavoring is nice, but these were so strongly flavored that I can't imagine wanting to dip them in anything. They may not be accurately flavored, and they might overpower any dip you serve them with, but I really did like these odd little chips. I might not rebuy these in the future, but I won't have any issues finishing off this bag.

© Maria Smith http://poison-and-antidote.net

Like Sometimes Foodie's Facebook page to keep up with all my foodie adventures!

7 comments:

  1. Please bring them back to brndon fl so many people fell in love with these chips and then poor they dissappeared...please help us TheDubsons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please bring them back to brndon fl so many people fell in love with these chips and then poor they dissappeared...please help us TheDubsons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please bring them back. These were great! Many people that I served them too loved them and we're surprised when I told them what they were and where I bought them. Rockford,Il

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the taste of these garlic & hummus chips and couldn't resist buying them every time I shopped in Aldi's. The chips disappeared from their stock some time ago and haven't surfaced again although I keep looking for them. Sure would like to see them on the shelf again in WV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were so good. Please bring them back. Lee's Summit Mo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aldi is wonderful; unfortunately many of their great products are seasonal which means limited availability. We love these chips, too. But they only come around at Christmas. Ditto the very best hummus which is now sold out. That is the problem with Aldi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carry these in stock permanently please!

    ReplyDelete