Saturday, October 25, 2014

Oikos Pumpkin Pie Greek Yogurt - Target: Cherry Hill, NJ

Oikos Pumpkin Pie Greek Yogurt - Wegman's: Cherry Hill, NJ
I still don't really understand the obsession behind Greek yogurt, but every yogurt brand came out with a Greek seasonal flavor, and with all of my pumpkinpocalypse reviews, it was only a matter of time before I reviewed one of them. Since I enjoyed the Bananas Foster flavor I reviewed a few days ago, I decided to go with Oikos' pumpkin pie yogurt.


Unlike the Bananas Foster variety, this limited edition flavor looks different from the rest of the Oikos line. The design for the plastic cup is a lot more colorful and busy. There are scattered leaves, a fall color palette, and a slice of pie alongside the standard logo. I'm not a huge fan of the colors and the layout, it seems like too many ideas crammed into one design, but it works. Unfortunately, the foil peel-top design doesn't. What's with all the red? It's so bold and bright that it clashes with the fall color palette.


Once opened, the yogurt inside was a creamy tan-ish beige color, similar to cafe au lait, or normal Greek yogurt with a few different spices mixed in. It has the same tangy smell that all Greek yogurts have, but there's also a healthy dose of the pumpkin pie spices, and for once, it wasn't cinnamon-heavy! This smells more like nutmeg than anything else, but I can tell there are a few other spices (like cinnamon) mixed in. Just from the scent alone, I'm pretty excited to give this yogurt a try! 

I took a bite, and although I could barely taste any pumpkin puree, the spice blend was spot on for pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie. This yogurt is heavily spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, and possibly a hint of ginger, which was bold (without being too bold) and recognizable, plus the spiced flavoring covers the tanginess of the yogurt really well. If you were blind folded in a taste test, you might even guess that this was pumpkin pie flavored. (Although you could easily mistake this for some kind of spiced dessert or cake. Maybe even Gingerbread.) I am pretty impressed with this seasonal flavor, and with Oikos in general. Maybe I should give the other seasonal Greek yogurts a chance after all.

On a Pumpkin Scale of 1-5
(5 being the most pumpkin-y) I’d give this a 3.5. The yogurt was more spiced than pumpkin-y, but it was very flavorful and the fall spices hid the tanginess of the Greek yogurt well. If there were more flavors like this, I'd be converted to the Greek yogurt-side easily. 
Like Sometimes Foodie's Facebook page to keep up with all my foodie adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment