Monday, October 20, 2014

Pumpkin Pizza - Homemade Recipe

Pumpkin Pizza - Homemade Recipe
This is a little recipe I have been thinking about and testing since last fall. Although I don't think it's 100% perfect (yet) it's pretty darn tasty.


Pumpkin Pizza
(Serves 2-4 people)

Ingredients:
• 1/2 lb of pizza dough
• 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
• 1Tbs crumbled Feta
• 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
• 2 Tbs prosciutto (diced) *
• 1/8 cup diced red onion**
• 1 tsp garlic powder

* Prosciutto can be substituted for thick cut bacon or any other salted and cured meat.
** Add more or less onion depending on your tastes. I like onion so I added quite a bit.
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Make a batch of pizza dough,  I used half of my favorite go-to recipe. (I made a traditional pizza with the other half.) 
  3. Stretch your crust as desired on either a round pie pan, or free-form your crust on a pizza stone. (Which is what I did.)
  4. Spread the pumpkin puree onto the stretched pie crust and sprinkle with the garlic powder. 
  5. Sprinkle on the feta, mozzarella, onion, and diced prosciutto. 
  6. Place your pizza in the oven on the middle rack for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and bubbly and the crust begins to brown. 
  7. Allow the pizza to cool, slice, and serve.

This pizza was delicious, but it really wasn't all that pumpkin-y. The cheese and smoked meat overpowered the earthy flavoring of the puree, so if you're looking for some intense pumpkin flavoring, this isn't it. The finished pizza is rich and flavorful, kind of like a fancy flatbread version of a ham and cheese sandwich, but with a bit of fall flair. Full disclosure, I don't think this recipe is perfect yet, I feel like it needs something acidic, like a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to cut through the rest of the flavors, but the recipe is still very enjoyable as-is.

On a Pumpkin Scale of 1-5
(5 being the most pumpkin-y) I’d give this a 2, the pumpkin flavoring gets a bit lost with all of the cheese and the smokey prosciutto, but it still tastes really delicious. It's a nice change from your normal pizza pie, but I feel like it needs a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or something acidic. 
Like Sometimes Foodie's Facebook page to keep up with all my foodie adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment