Saturday, November 8, 2014

Trident Layers Pumpkin Spice Gum - Target: Voorhees, NJ

Trident Layers Pumpkin Spice Gum - Target: Voorhees, NJ

Basics rejoice! This year, not only can we drink our pumpkin spiced lattes and eat our pumpkin spiced everything, but now we can satisfy that pumpkin craving between meals! Normally I'm not one to mock the pumpkin spice trend, I am usually deep in the pumpkin-y trenches buying and eating everything pumpkin I can find, but this year I think they have finally gone too far. There are not one, but TWO different pumpkin spiced chewing gums that were released this year, and I finally found both varieties to review. Let's start with the prettier of the two, the Trident Layers Pumpkin Spice.


Design-wise, this packaging is a lot prettier and sophisticated than the Extra variety. As you can see, the background is a crisp white with a playful image, while the coloring reflects the fall theme. It's pretty, however, the packaging doesn't function very well. The nutritional information is only printed on the clear plastic film that you have to remove in order to get to the gum, so once you open this, you have to Google the information to have it on hand. Not only that but, I had to buy the three pack of this gum in order to review it, so one package has been in my purse for a few days, and it's already popped open and scattered a few pumpkin-y pieces all over the insides of my purse. The Extra variety stays closed and has nutritional information right on the package, which functions a lot better, but Trident would still win the swimsuit part of this competition.


The packaging opens and functions just like the Jelly Bean Trident Layers gum I've already reviewed, but this time the inner design is a lot more boring. It's just a mustard color with some retro star/snowflake shapes. There's not much to report there, so I am going to get right into the gum itself.


As I peeled the little piece of gum from it's wrapper I noticed that the middle layer of the gum was pretty sticky. The outer edges of the pink-ish middle layer stuck to the wrapper and my fingers a little bit, which is something I have never experienced with this variety of gum, especially when it's brand new out of the package.

There is no way to avoid the comparison, the gum smells like Bath & Body Works during fall. The aroma is a mixture of pumpkin pie spice and vanilla-heavy baked goods. I know that sounds awesome, but this smells more like a candle or lotion trying to recreate a baked good than a real food item.


I popped the stick of gum into my mouth, and the spiced cake flavoring is very bold. Too bold. It tastes even stronger than it smells. Have you ever been around someone with so much perfume/cologne on that you could taste it? That's this. Only this tastes like a really spiced pumpkin/fall themed candle.

If this flavoring was a candle aroma, it's be the best pumpkin candle ever, but as a chewing gum, I feel like I just made out with Bath & Body Works fall product line it's... weird. I wish I could describe it better. I wouldn't say this is terrible, because it isn't, it's far from the worst chewing gum I have ever had, but it just isn't a refreshing flavor. I taste that fall spice blend that only exists in the world of lotions and candles, and a fake vanilla-heavy baked good flavoring, mixed with a few floral pumpkin notes here and there and you get this chewing gum.

I went into this knowing that this product might not be good, but it's a pumpkin spiced gum!How could I not review it this year? I've never had a pumpkin chewing gum in my review gallery before. I'm happy I bought it and was able to review it this year, but I don't know how I am going to end up chewing three packs of this stuff.

On a Pumpkin Scale of 1-5
(5 being the most pumpkin-y) I’d give this a 3. It smells and tastes like an amazing fall pumpkin spiced candle, the problem is I don't want to chew on my candles. It's interesting and boldly flavored, but it really does taste like Bath & Body Works smells in the fall, and I just can't get behind that. Get one package for the novelty and share it with friends this fall, but I wouldn't stock up. 
Like Sometimes Foodie's Facebook page to keep up with all my foodie adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment