Thursday, December 4, 2014

Pumpkin Seed Tortilla Chips - Aldi: Cherry Hill, NJ

Pumpkin Seed Tortilla Chips - Aldi: Cherry Hill, NJ
Should I just make a Youtube video this weekend where I eat the rest of this pumpkin stuff and be done with it? I still have a decent amount left to post! Man...I over did it this year. Thankfully, today's post is a really quick one.

I've seen a few different pumpkin seed-based chips and snack products this year, I think pumpkin seeds are becoming one of those buzz-worthy super foods, but that could die down now that winter is coming. (I miss Game of Thrones.) This fall, pumpkin seed chips became so popular, even Aldi released their own version, and since all of you know I'm an Aldi junkie, these went into my cart the instant I saw them.


The packaging is pretty plain, which suits the "Simply Nature" line Aldi has recently gotten into, but this bag seems really empty. Look at all that empty space and air! If the designer for this bag went out of their way to make the clear plastic window shaped like a bowl of chips, then the chips inside the bag should at least reach that height, otherwise, this design just looks silly. I really didn't notice how empty this bag was until I went to photograph it. It just looks so...puny. Since it seems like I get so few chips, I already feel like this wasn't necessarily worth the money, but maybe they'll end up tasting really great, so let's find out.


Once opened, these smell sweeter than normal tortilla chips, but other than the faint squashy-sweetpotatoe-y smell, these don't seem all that different. (Also OMG I painted my nails for once! Don't worry, I'll take it off soon, it was just for the holiday.) Visually, they look like a slightly more orange whole grain chip.


To start, I tried them on their own, and they do taste different, but I am not sure if that's a good thing. I feel like these taste a lot like whole grain tortilla chips. There's that slightly sweeter and earthy flavor, but it's barely noticeable. This Aldi line likes to focus on keeping things simple, and I appreciate that, but I feel like these chips are suffering from a lack of salt, or some kind of seasoning.

To give these a complete test run, I used these chips to make some nachos, and while they turned out alright, and I ate the entire plate, the mild sweetness just wasn't working for me. Maybe if you wanted to serve these with a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar they could work, but as is, I wasn't thrilled with them. They're too sweet to work well with savory dishes, and not sweet enough to work as a dessert tortilla. These chips seem like they are stuck in some kind of sweet-savory limbo, and it just doesn't work for me. I'll use them up, but I wouldn't buy more next season.
On a Pumpkin Scale of 1-5 (5 being the most pumpkin-y) I’d give this a .5. These aren't very pumpkin-y, but they do have a mild sweetness that I associate with squash and pumpkin. These are slightly different than normal Tortilla chips, but they aren't different enough in anyway to make me want to permanently switch to this instead of my normal go-to chips. 
Like Sometimes Foodie's Facebook page to keep up with all my foodie adventures!

3 comments:

  1. They are AWESOME I want more !!! Aldi's are out 😢
    Where else can I buy them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are going to be on sale again the week of September 13th! Se sure to stock up, I don't think they'll be re-released until next fall.

      Delete
  2. make a honey yogurt dip for them...recipe is on the bag :)

    ReplyDelete