Sunday, December 7, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Cream Puffs - Shop Rite

Pumpkin Spice Cream Puffs - Shop Rite
Okay, I'm going to try and do a few posts tonight, let's see how many more pumpkin items I can get through.

To kick things off, Pumpkin Spiced Cream puffs!

When I was walking through Shop Rite there were a bunch of different holiday themed cream puffs, I was really torn between buying these, or the eggnog variety, but since I was still doing my pumpkin reviews at the time, I decided to go with these.


If you've ever bought frozen cream puffs, they're always packaged the same way. (At least the grocery store varieties always are.) The packaging consists of a sealed, rectangular, plastic tub with large labels showing the product and any needed information. It functions well, keeps the cream puffs safe from freezer burn, and it can act as a serving container once you follow the thawing instructions. I wouldn't say the design for this packaging is all that great, the cream puffs in the photos look nothing like the real product, but the container does come in handy. My sister used the empty plastic box to transport her bake sale cookies, and we used it to take some leftovers home from Thanksgiving. (Yay for recycled containers.)


Inside, there are 30 little frozen cream puffs. I pulled some out and let them sit for a little bit to thaw before eating. These little sweets look a lot smaller than the ones advertized on the box, each one is about three bites, and they a little under cooked.


After a few minutes I decided to take a bite, and although it was still a bit frozen, it didn't taste half-bad.

The filling is really mild, almost like vanilla instant pudding, but there is a hint of pumpkin spice. It's just really weak. Pumpkin spiced pudding mix is easily more flavorful and bold than this.

I waited a few more minutes and ate another one once the photo lights completely thawed them, and I gotta say, I preferred them slightly frozen. Once thawed, the inside became thinner and more like a whipped pudding or Cool Whip-style topping, and the pastry shell was softer and a bit mushy.

All-in-all, these were just okay. If you were in a bind and needed something for your dessert table, these might be worth checking out, but there is barely any pumpkin flavoring at all. I suggest trying to make your own with Jello's pumpkin pudding mix instead. They'd be a lot fresher and more flavorful.
On a Pumpkin Scale of 1-5 (5 being the most pumpkin-y) I’d give this a 1. The filling has a hint of pumpkin spice, which is a little stronger once completely thawed, but it's still very faint. I wouldn't say these were any different from the normal frozen grocery store cream puffs. I wouldn't buy these again, but the container comes in really handy!
Like Sometimes Foodie's Facebook page to keep up with all my foodie adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment