Sunday, March 22, 2015

Chobani Concord Grape Limited Batch Greek Yogurt - Walmart: Berlin, NJ

Chobani Concord Grape Limited Batch Greek Yogurt - Walmart: Berlin, NJ
It's been a while since I reviewed a Chobani flavor, I think the last one I did was the deliciously refreshing Watermelon last August, and I saw that there are currently two new flavors in their Limited Batch line, Green Tea and Concord Grape. I'm sure those some like amazing flavors to some of you, but to me, they are foodie nightmare-fuel. I am not a fan of grape flavored anything due to my childhood experiences with grape flavored medicine, and green tea is a little too earthy for my tastes. (I prefer black tea.) Neither of these appealed to me personally, but my curiosity got the better of me. After all, I've never had a grape flavored yogurt before. Maybe it could be amazing! I decided to take a risk on this one and into my handcart it went.


The packaging looks nice in person, it's a rich purple color with dark purple accents and beautiful fruit imagery, but it just did not want to photograph well. I had such a hard time adjusting my camera for this purple, it was so odd. I haven't had this much trouble with a color not showing up correctly before. I tried my best, but the container in real life has a much bluer tone to it. (Although it's still on the warm side of purple.) Since it's mostly purple, it really stood out from the other Chobani flavors on the shelves, but it could be easily lost in a sea of Dannon, which uses purple as it's brand color. I like the fruit imagery, and the colors in person are very pretty, but I wouldn't say this is the best design ever.


I peeled back the lid, and I already know...I'm not going to like this.
It smells grape-y, and I like grapes, but this specific aroma reminds me of Dimetapp cold medicine for children. Looking back, I feel like almost all my childhood medicine was grape or root-beer flavored, even though I'm sure it wasn't, and the taste of that stuff ruined grape flavoring for me to this day. I'm in my late 20's and I still vividly remember that flavor, and just by smelling this, I'm taken back to that moment where I'm a child running away to avoid taking icky medicine. I kind of don't want to eat this, but I did eat some actual concord grapes last year, and they were delicious, so maybe this will be good after all? It certainly looks unappealing, but maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge it by it's looks or it's aroma.


I scooped a spoonful into my mouth, and it's not terrible, but I do not like it. This stuff tastes kind of like grape jelly, which is typically made with Concord grapes, but there's still that same grape-y flavoring that I always relate to medication, so I personally do not enjoy this at all. Eating this feels like a chore or a punishment, but I am sure that's due to my own memories of grape flavoring being unpleasant.

Do I recommend this flavor? No. Not at all, but to be fair, I have a hard time liking grape flavored things. (I blame you Dimetapp!) If you're really a fan of grape flavored sweets and drinks, you might really like this. It has a slight grape jelly flavoring mixed with the cheese-y like quality of Greek yogurt. If that sounds appealing to you, I'm sure you'd love this. As for grape haters like me, I am pinching my nose as I eat the rest of this because I hate wasting food, but this honestly tastes like I am eating medicine. I'll never buy this for myself ever again, and as I spoon this into my mouth, I kind of regret buying it in the first place.
Like Sometimes Foodie's Facebook page to keep up with all my foodie adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment