Sunday, November 10, 2013

Jet-Puffed Pumpkin Spice Mallows - Target - Riverside, NJ


Jet-Puffed Pumpkin Spice Mallows 
- Target - Riverside, NJ
Last year I reviewed these seasonal marshmallows from Aldi and, although they were a bit heavy handed with the cloves, they made an awesome seasonal snack. I saw the Jet-Puffed version at Target and wanted to see if the name-brand was as good if not better than the Aldi variety.

Design-wise, this packaging features illustrated cinnamon sticks, puffy pumpkin marshmallows, bold white text, and seasonal colors. All of these elements are present in the Aldi version, and they are pretty standard for pumpkin spiced seasonal items. What sets the Jet-Puffed bag apart is the striped background and the little slice of pumpkin pie. Admittedly the name-brand bag has a lot more attention to detail, so it definitely has the better design. I have been burned by pretty packaging before, so let's see how the actual marshmallows measure up.




Although both versions use the same pumpkin shape for their marshmallows, there are quite a few visual differences. First of all they are a different color. Aldi's marshmallows are a rich orange-y color, while these look more tan, like a pumpkin spiced latte. The next visual difference is that these Jet-Puffed marshmallows vary in size quite a bit. There are large, standard sized marshmallows mixed with mini versions that vary from half to 1/3rd the size of a normal marshmallow. None of these differences are negative, but you can tell they are definitely not the same product.

Not only do these look like a pumpkin spice latte, but they smell like one too! I can smell the pumpkin pie spices mixed with a hint of instant coffee. I checked the ingredient list, but it only contains the usual marshmallow ingredients with "natural and artificial flavors." They don't even list the spices! So I really have no clue what these things are flavored with. (I hope it's not bugs.)

Bugs, or no bugs, I popped a marshmallow into my mouth and I swear I can taste some subtle coffee notes. These little pumpkins are sweet, well spiced, and the overall flavoring reminds me of the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte. (Latte reviewed here.) 
Out of the two brands, I actually prefer the Jet-Puffed variety. I am no brand-name pusher, but these are very well spiced and I like the variety of sizes in the bag. The smaller marshmallows are great on top cocoa or a pumpkin spice latte, while the larger ones are perfect for baked goods.

On a Pumpkin Scale of 1-5 (5 being the most pumpkin-y) I’d give this a 3.
Like me on facebook to keep up with all my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment