Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Choi's Wasabi Seaweed Snack - Asian Food Market: Cherry Hill, NJ

Choi's Wasabi Seaweed Snack - Asian Food Market: Cherry Hill, NJ
I've reviewed two different flavors of these Choi's seaweed snacks in the past, Teriyaki and Hot & Spicy. Both were enjoyable, but I saved my favorite for last!

In 2014, I went wasabi crazy. I bought tubes of it to add to my food at home, bought these wasabi seaweed snacks from Wegman's, wasabi pea crackers, and I ate 5 bags worth of Shirakiku Wasabi Mate last year. That might not seem like a lot, but that large green bag contains several small bags, and as I type this, I have another bag next to me, already open, and ready to feed my wasabi addicition in 2015. I may or may not have a problem. No, really, I might actually have a problem. My tolerance to the wasabi is building up and I'm not getting the same satisfying burn from my favorite snacks that I used to. This specific package of seaweed claims to be "hot," so I am hoping these seaweed snacks can help me get to the next level of wasabi goodness.


Right off the bat, don't let the expiration date fool you, this was photographed and eaten before the date shown, I just never got around to typing everything up. (I'm trying to go through my backed up to-be-reviewed pile, so this might happen in a lot of posts this month.)

I have already discussed the packaging for this product in my last two reviews, and other than the green color scheme, this is exactly the same as the others. If you'd like to see my thoughts on packaging click HERE, is not, let's get right to the review!

Once opened, I can already see that the sheets are significantly larger than the ones sold at Wegman's, and there are more sheets inside too. This package easily contains double the amount of product, but these cost reflects that, so you aren't really getting more bang for your buck by comparison. Really, this is just a larger package with a slightly bigger price tag.

The sheets smell salty and ocean-like, with a hint of delicious sinus-burning wasabi, which I find really appealing, but those of you who don't like wasabi might think that the horseradish-y smell was a bit strong or off putting. At this point I am so burned out on wasabi that I don't know if this smells all that different from my current wasabi seaweed snacks, but hopefully it'll taste a bit more intense.

I bit into the crispy seaweed sheet, and the wasabi flavoring seems slightly more intense than the snacks I have been buying, but the change isn't all that drastic. For me, personally, these aren't all that strong, and I was able to munch on these sheets without any real sinus burning or reaction, but I am not sure how non-wasabi eaters might react to this product. I am a little concerned that I might have burnt out my sinuses, or my taste buds, but this really wasn't all that hot. At least it wasn't for me, but I still enjoyed it.

I love wasabi, and I love seaweed, so this was a nice treat and I enjoyed it, but there was nothing really special about this brand or it's wasabi intensity to make me buy this over other brands of wasabi seaweed snacks. It's not a bad buy, and my local market put these on sale or in special buy-bulk packs every now and again, but I don't see myself saying loyal to this brand when I can buy other seaweed snacks when they go on sale.
Like Sometimes Foodie's Facebook page to keep up with all my foodie adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment